Sunday, February 5, 2012

I have not been blogging because I have been reading for long, uninterrupted stretches but I am reading so many things that I'm not finishing anything in a timely fashion and I've also even been writing more than usual.

This is a strange point in my life. It's only the beginning of February, but it's like I can already feel the pull of the term winding down. Like there isn't much time left and then I have to change the way I live.

I have so many things to write this semester to fulfill all of the commitments I've set for myself. It's a little scary, but it's actually going well. I feel good about the material that I have so far.

Like I said I've been reading SO MANY THINGS:

-the Brad Gooch biography of Flannery O'Connor. I like it, though I'm not sure that I would have liked her, based on the way Gooch portrays her anyway. So, so Catholic.
-I also got her collected stories because it's impossible to read a biography of a writer and not want to see their work. I've read a good number of her stories already, but they're no less engaging in re-read. She's got this way of seeing people that I'm not even on the same planet with.
-The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. I read this for about three hours straight the other night, totally caught up in how passionate and ridiculous it is. I'm still only about a third of the way through, and I'm pretty sure it's only going to get crazier.
-Sylvia Plath's unabridged journals. I own and read the abridged version back when I was about sixteen or seventeen, about the same time that I read Ariel and The Bell Jar. I hate it when I read abridged things. Of course, this isn't a normal abridging situation. In any case, I'm having a good time revisiting the sections I've already read and going through the new material.
-I got out Robert Lowell's letters because he plays a big part in the O'Connor biography and seemed like a really interesting person. I also got a book of his poetry because I haven't read much of it at all. Just got those today so haven't read much, but his letters to Ezra Pound when Lowell was 19 asking to go study with Pound in Italy were pretty hilarious.

No program news yet. The waiting game continues. I'm hoping to be a real writing/reading machine this semester. Who knows what I'll be doing after school ends.

-Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment