Sunday, May 8, 2011

"But I'm not the other woman in my fantasies."

Two things that bother me about my local Barnes and Noble's YA section:

1. There's an entire subsection for paranormal romance.

2. Megan McCafferty's books are not shelved there. They are in the regular literature section. I have no idea what she thinks about this herself, or if she even cares, but I think they should be shelved in YA. The decision is obviously because of the sexual content/language of the books. They also do have definite crossover appeal, but I think they are YA books at heart, and some of the best YA books I've ever read. It's annoying that the thought process seems to be that we need to keep teenagers from reading about the realistic romantic/sexual experiences of Jessica Darling, but it's totally cool to keep Twilight in YA. Don't worry, I'm not going to go there. I can't even start with that stuff.

-Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment