Wednesday, March 30, 2011

With a motorbike made of jealousy.

A friend and I are going to attempt to write a play for Script Frenzy, which starts on Friday and runs the whole month of April. Script Frenzy I've never written any kind of script before, and honestly I don't even read plays very often. But she's a theater minor, so I'm just going to let her pick up all that slack. I'll let you know more about this inevitable failure as it progresses.

I heard through the grapevine (that sounds so scandalous!) that one of the members of my fiction workshop thinks that my book recommendations to other classmates don't apply and that I'm just saying them to show off what I've read. That's the first writing-gossip I've ever heard about myself, which is pretty exciting. I know that I can be a little... overzealous, shall we say, while in workshop, but it's just because I'm a huge nerd. This stuff is my life. I try to rein it in, honestly.

Right now I'm still making my way through Revolutionary Road, but I honestly can't read more than fifteen or so pages at once because it's so terribly depressing. I like it, but it puts me in a mood.

I've also been reading The Madwoman in the Attic, which is massive and difficult to carry around. But it's also wonderful so far. I've never really been a huge fan of literary criticism, so I'm surprised I like it as much as I do. I'm finding a lot more accessible than I expected, and I'm familiar with a number of the texts they discuss. I'm really excited to get to the part where they talk about Jane Eyre, because I love that book like crazy.

Rounding out my current reading is The Counterlife by Philip Roth. It's the first of his books that I've read, and I'm enjoying it so far. Sometimes it can be hard for me to get into stories that are so rooted in the male mindset, but this one is working for me so far.

I've also been doing some research on central/south-central Pennsylvania for a project for the autobiography class I'm taking with Jeff Oaks. I've been reading about Centralia and the coal region where my parents and grandparents grew up. It's been a little difficult to find information, but the Carnegie Library has a whole department for books on Pennsylvania, so that's been helpful. The piece I'm doing for Jeff's class is going to  be the first non-contemporary piece I've written in college. It's a little scary. I tend to avoid setting my fiction in a time I didn't personally experience because, frankly, I'm afraid of getting it wrong. So this will be an interesting experience.

Still haven't heard back about the Brackenridge Fellowship, which will decide my fate for the summer. Hopefully I'll hear good news soon.

-Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment